ASU's Will Sutton returning for senior season
"It's been a long decision, it's been a hard decision, but my decision is that I'm going to stay and play another year at ASU," Sutton said Tuesday amid thunderous applause at his press conference.
Sutton, a junior from Centennial High School in Corona, California, had a dominant season in which he earned consensus All-American honors, becoming the 18th player in ASU history to do so.
Sutton was unblockable throughout most of the season, finishing with 63 tackles, 23.5 for loss and 13 sacks. He capped off his campaign by wreaking havoc in Navy's backfield during ASU's decisive 62-28 win at the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco December 29. Sutton finished with 3.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and took home the game's Most Outstanding Defensive Player award.
The junior didn't pinpoint just one factor that helped him arrive at his decision.
"It was a lot of things, there was a lot of pros and cons, but some of the main the things were coming back, winning a championship, doing it for my teammates and getting my education," Sutton said.
Getting Sutton back in 2013 is a huge coup for Arizona State head coach Todd Graham. In fact, Sutton's return, along with fellow defensive playmakers Carl Bradford, Chris Young and Osahon Irabor could have the Sun Devils at or near the top of the Pac-12 South in most projections.
"He's the best defensive lineman I've ever coached and one of the best defensive players I've ever coached," Graham said. "I think it speaks volumes about his commitment to our team. I do think his teammates had a lot to do with that decision."
With the decision to return now behind him, Sutton was asked "what's next?"
"I've got class at six o'clock," he joked.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works