Updated Jan 4, 2013 - 4:29 pm
NFL analyst on Vontaze Burfict: 'That kid is special'
Burfict, who spent three years in Tempe, went from wonderkind destined to be a top 10 draft pick to undrafted over the course of his collegiate career.
He landed with the Cincinnati Bengals and has since become a key part of one of the NFL's best defenses.
"Marvin really cultivated a relationship with Vontaze that Burfict really liked, and they kind of hit it off," CBS NFL sideline reporter and analyst Steve Tasker told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
It's paid off big time, as Burfict ultimately led the team with 127 tackles to go along with one sack. The undisciplined play the linebacker became known for at ASU a thing of the past, the 22-year-old is now earning a reputation as being an excellent professional football player.
"Vontaze wanted a fresh start and Marvin was willing to give it to him and take him for his word," Tasker said. "And Vontaze has lived up to his side of it."
It's a nice story for a player who everyone always believed had enough talent to be great, but possibly lacked the drive and dedication to fulfill his potential. Though he is just one year into his NFL career, it appears Burfict is well on his way to becoming the player many thought he'd ultimately be.
"Marvin Lewis, sitting around a table with me in a production meeting, looked at me and the guys I was with and said, 'Vontaze Burfict may be one of the top three guys I have ever been around on the defensive side of the football, ever,'" Tasker added.
"That kid is special, and Marvin may be one of the few guys -- and obviously the only head coach in the NFL -- who took the time to cultivate a relationship with the guy before he got him after the draft, and it's paying dividends for him," Tasker said.
Burfict's Bengals will be playing the Houston Texans Saturday in an AFC Wild Card playoff game.
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Less than 5,000 tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Football Color Analyst - Friday December 6Is this the biggest game in ASU football history?
- Rocky Harris, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6What will be the economic impact of ASU's success?
- Todd Graham, Head Coach ASU Football - Friday December 6Todd Graham talks to Doug and Wolf about the Pac-12 Championship Game.
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel