NFL analyst on Vontaze Burfict: 'That kid is special'
Burfict, who spent three years in Tempe, went from wonderkind destined to be a top 10 draft pick to undrafted over the course of his collegiate career.
He landed with the Cincinnati Bengals and has since become a key part of one of the NFL's best defenses.
"Marvin really cultivated a relationship with Vontaze that Burfict really liked, and they kind of hit it off," CBS NFL sideline reporter and analyst Steve Tasker told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
It's paid off big time, as Burfict ultimately led the team with 127 tackles to go along with one sack. The undisciplined play the linebacker became known for at ASU a thing of the past, the 22-year-old is now earning a reputation as being an excellent professional football player.
"Vontaze wanted a fresh start and Marvin was willing to give it to him and take him for his word," Tasker said. "And Vontaze has lived up to his side of it."
It's a nice story for a player who everyone always believed had enough talent to be great, but possibly lacked the drive and dedication to fulfill his potential. Though he is just one year into his NFL career, it appears Burfict is well on his way to becoming the player many thought he'd ultimately be.
"Marvin Lewis, sitting around a table with me in a production meeting, looked at me and the guys I was with and said, 'Vontaze Burfict may be one of the top three guys I have ever been around on the defensive side of the football, ever,'" Tasker added.
"That kid is special, and Marvin may be one of the few guys -- and obviously the only head coach in the NFL -- who took the time to cultivate a relationship with the guy before he got him after the draft, and it's paying dividends for him," Tasker said.
Burfict's Bengals will be playing the Houston Texans Saturday in an AFC Wild Card playoff game.
- UFC Legend Dan "Hendo" Henderson - Saturday June 15UFC great Dan Henderson joins The Power MMA Show to preview his UFC 161 bout vs Rashad Evans.
- Steve Patterson, ASU AD - Tuesday June 4Will Notre Dame be on the ASU football schedule? And, what does he think of E. Gordon Gee's comments
- Jeff Pendergraph, Indiana Pacers forward - Tuesday June 4Pacer and former ASU basketball player Jeff Pendergraph talks about Indiana's run in the playoffs
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 30What will be discussed at the upcoming meeting with the other Pac-12 athletic directors?
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works