Updated Dec 29, 2012 - 9:21 pm
ASU Fork Report: Sun Devils sink Navy Midshipmen in Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a Fork Report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Navy on December 29. Final score: Arizona State 62, Navy 28.
Quarterback Taylor Kelly led the most prolific offensive attack in ASU bowl game history with four passing touchdowns and his first career rushing score. He threw for 268 yards, completing 17-of-19 pass attempts (the two incompletions were drops).
Rashad Ross finished his Sun Devil career with a season-high 139 yards receiving and three touchdowns while Marion Grice paced the rushing attack with a season-high 159 yards and two touchdowns. Grice was named the game's offensive MVP, only a week after learning his brother had been murdered in Houston.
Defensively, Will Sutton earned Defensive MVP honors with four tackles and 2.5 sacks
Injuries. All-American freshman D.J. Foster (head) and senior linebacker Brandon Magee (right elbow) did not return after leaving the game in the first and third quarters, respectively.
He Said It:
"We'll know in due time," Sutton said in response to a question about his playing future and whether that means continuing his career at ASU or turning his attention to the NFL.
• The Sun Devils got their first bowl win since the 2005 Insight Bowl, snapping a three-game postseason losing streak.
• Todd Graham becomes the first ASU head coach to beat Arizona and win a bowl game in his first season.
• Chris Coyle becomes the Sun Devils' single-season receptions leader by a tight end, passing Zach Miller (56).
• Alex Garoutte had made 100 consecutive PATs before a miss late in the second quarter.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils end the 2012 season with an 8-5 record. The eight wins are the most since a 10-win 2007 campaign in Dennis Erickson's first year as head coach.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.