Updated Dec 29, 2012 - 9:21 pm
ASU Fork Report: Sun Devils sink Navy Midshipmen in Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a Fork Report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Navy on December 29. Final score: Arizona State 62, Navy 28.
Quarterback Taylor Kelly led the most prolific offensive attack in ASU bowl game history with four passing touchdowns and his first career rushing score. He threw for 268 yards, completing 17-of-19 pass attempts (the two incompletions were drops).
Rashad Ross finished his Sun Devil career with a season-high 139 yards receiving and three touchdowns while Marion Grice paced the rushing attack with a season-high 159 yards and two touchdowns. Grice was named the game's offensive MVP, only a week after learning his brother had been murdered in Houston.
Defensively, Will Sutton earned Defensive MVP honors with four tackles and 2.5 sacks
Injuries. All-American freshman D.J. Foster (head) and senior linebacker Brandon Magee (right elbow) did not return after leaving the game in the first and third quarters, respectively.
He Said It:
"We'll know in due time," Sutton said in response to a question about his playing future and whether that means continuing his career at ASU or turning his attention to the NFL.
• The Sun Devils got their first bowl win since the 2005 Insight Bowl, snapping a three-game postseason losing streak.
• Todd Graham becomes the first ASU head coach to beat Arizona and win a bowl game in his first season.
• Chris Coyle becomes the Sun Devils' single-season receptions leader by a tight end, passing Zach Miller (56).
• Alex Garoutte had made 100 consecutive PATs before a miss late in the second quarter.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils end the 2012 season with an 8-5 record. The eight wins are the most since a 10-win 2007 campaign in Dennis Erickson's first year as head coach.
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.