Updated Dec 22, 2012 - 11:34 am
Will Sutton: 'I don't know yet' about my future at ASU
The Pac-12's Defense Player of the Year led the conference with 20 tackles for loss, ranked third with 10.5 sacks and led the Sun Devils to the top of the Pac-12 in pass defense and pass efficiency defense.
With a year of eligibility still remaining, a return to Tempe could be very beneficial for both the reigning Morris Trophy recipient (given to the conference's top lineman) and ASU in 2013. However after a stellar junior campaign, the lure of the NFL is certainly pulling at Sutton, meaning the Sun Devils' game against Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on December 29 could very likely be his last in maroon and gold.
"I don't know yet," Sutton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday on his upcoming decision. "I've got until the 15th of January, so we will know before then."
While Sutton won't commit one way or the other at this point in terms of coming back to ASU or entering the draft, the highly-touted defensive lineman said he would certainly go through the process of contacting the league's advisory committee to gage what his pro prospects are.
In addition to the committee's advice, Sutton said he's also listening to others in his close-knit circle.
"It's a lot," said Sutton on the number of people he's listening to about his future. "Probably about 10 people."
While ESPN analyst Mel Kiper is not a member of Sutton's circle of trust, based on his evaluation, the junior has an easy decision to make: stay in school.
Sutton did not make Kiper's 2013 NFL Draft Big Board and was only ranked as the No. 4 defensive tackle among juniors.
History is on Sutton's side, however. Five of the last seven ASU players to be taken in the first round have come on the defensive side of the football.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.