ASU's Coyle and Kelly forge bond on and off the field
Arizona State tight end Chris Coyle and quarterback Taylor Kelly have forged a close relationship and it has certainly paid dividends on the field.
Coyle emerged as ASU's leading receiver with 53 catches for 659 yards to along with five touchdowns in 2012. He needs just three catches in the Sun Devils' bowl game against Navy to surpass Seahawks' Zach Miller for the school's single-season record for a tight end.
A lot of Coyle's success this season can be attributed to Kelly, who has afforded the tight end with consistent opportunities game in and game out. Coyle believes his quarterback's temperament is a big reason for the team's tremendous strides on offense.
"The biggest thing that I like about Taylor Kelly is his poise," Coyle told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "He's very calm and composed and I feel like it plays out on the field."
In his first year as ASU's starting quarterback, Kelly has thrown for 2,772 yards and 25 touchdowns with just nine interceptions in 2012.
Coyle said he's most impressed with Kelly's ability to remain even keel in even the most difficult of circumstances.
"There's been a couple times where he's had to roll out of the pocket and just a couple games where he's had a little bit more pressure but he's still able to maintain his focus and find that guy open downfield," Coyle stated.
As an offense, ASU has scored 36.4 points per game and Coyle connecting with his quarterback for clutch receptions and scores is a big reason why.
"I really just wanted the opportunity to go out on the field and show what I had and just be able to make plays for the Sun Devils," Coyle said. "I just tried to take advantage of every opportunity that's been given to me."
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 23Patterson talks to Doug and Wolf about ASU football games potentially being played at Chase field du