Updated Dec 22, 2012 - 9:39 am
ASU's Coyle and Kelly forge bond on and off the field
Arizona State tight end Chris Coyle and quarterback Taylor Kelly have forged a close relationship and it has certainly paid dividends on the field.
Coyle emerged as ASU's leading receiver with 53 catches for 659 yards to along with five touchdowns in 2012. He needs just three catches in the Sun Devils' bowl game against Navy to surpass Seahawks' Zach Miller for the school's single-season record for a tight end.
A lot of Coyle's success this season can be attributed to Kelly, who has afforded the tight end with consistent opportunities game in and game out. Coyle believes his quarterback's temperament is a big reason for the team's tremendous strides on offense.
"The biggest thing that I like about Taylor Kelly is his poise," Coyle told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "He's very calm and composed and I feel like it plays out on the field."
In his first year as ASU's starting quarterback, Kelly has thrown for 2,772 yards and 25 touchdowns with just nine interceptions in 2012.
Coyle said he's most impressed with Kelly's ability to remain even keel in even the most difficult of circumstances.
"There's been a couple times where he's had to roll out of the pocket and just a couple games where he's had a little bit more pressure but he's still able to maintain his focus and find that guy open downfield," Coyle stated.
As an offense, ASU has scored 36.4 points per game and Coyle connecting with his quarterback for clutch receptions and scores is a big reason why.
"I really just wanted the opportunity to go out on the field and show what I had and just be able to make plays for the Sun Devils," Coyle said. "I just tried to take advantage of every opportunity that's been given to me."
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!