ASU head coach Todd Graham confident about direction of the team
Todd Graham's positive energy is infectious. He believes wholeheartedly in his team, praises his coaching staff and urges Sun Devil Nation to buy into the culture he's building at Arizona State.
The Devils' head coach is preparing his team to face Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on Dec. 29. If ASU comes away victorious, Graham will finish his inaugural season with eight wins and a bowl championship.
Regardless of the game's outcome, Graham is already looking to improve next year. He feels grateful to have dedicated members of the coaching staff, who have garnered interest among other teams, excited to return and be a part of the process.
"There is no substitute for experience and having the cohesiveness on our staff," Graham told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday. "We've already battled off some people trying to take some of our staff members but we've got good people here. We also have guys that are committed to be here and committed to what we're doing."
Graham knows the program still has a long ways to go but he praised the Sun Devil athletic department for believing in his long-term vision for the team.
"We've got a great situation with our administration and support," Graham stated. "We still have a lot of work to do. We need a lot of help, but I think we're sitting good."
Graham said the Sun Devils are in the midst of the recruiting process now and are fighting for some of the top-tier talent in the nation.
"This is our team and that's what I mean about speaking victory. We're competing in recruiting right now with the top teams in the country and that's what we should be doing. If we win one out of five, one out of 10, we're doing pretty good," Graham said.
Wins and losses often dictate fan support and Graham acknowledged ASU is hoping for that involvement and passion from the masses, so he urges people to stay positive about the direction of the team.
"I think you got to define for everybody what their job is," Graham said. "You've got to have all hands on deck to get it done and my whole deal is get all hands on deck, give us a chance. If we don't get it done, fire me and get somebody else."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.