Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Graham, Devils prepare for triple option
When they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, the Devils will be trying to find a way to stop the Midshipmen's potent triple option attack.
"Their offense is one that is very difficult to get TFLs (tackles for loss) on because very few negative yardage plays because you are quick hitting, dives, the triple option inside," Graham said.
The Arizona State defense has done a good job pressuring the quarterback and stopping the pass this season, but that won't help too much against the run-heavy Navy attack.
"Their strength is a challenge for us because if there is anything that we probably haven't done as well against and where we need to make the most improvement is in our run defense," Graham said.
If Graham's Devils expect to slow down the sixth-ranked rushing attack in the country, they will need to stop true freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds, who leads the team with 10 rushing touchdowns.
According to Graham, the scout team has been trying to simulate Reynolds and the triple option attack with freshman wide receiver Parker Rasmusson and other athletes manning the quarterback position.
"The problem is that their quarterback can throw it and do all that, it's tough to simulate. I think he is the key to their offense," Graham said. "I have been very impressed."
Despite ASU's lack of success stopping the run this season and their lack of experience against the triple option, Graham said he doesn't plan on adjusting his usual game plan much.
"We are going to do what we do," Graham said. "It boils down to fundamentals, blocking, tackling and being sound in what you're doing."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.