Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Graham, Devils prepare for triple option
When they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, the Devils will be trying to find a way to stop the Midshipmen's potent triple option attack.
"Their offense is one that is very difficult to get TFLs (tackles for loss) on because very few negative yardage plays because you are quick hitting, dives, the triple option inside," Graham said.
The Arizona State defense has done a good job pressuring the quarterback and stopping the pass this season, but that won't help too much against the run-heavy Navy attack.
"Their strength is a challenge for us because if there is anything that we probably haven't done as well against and where we need to make the most improvement is in our run defense," Graham said.
If Graham's Devils expect to slow down the sixth-ranked rushing attack in the country, they will need to stop true freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds, who leads the team with 10 rushing touchdowns.
According to Graham, the scout team has been trying to simulate Reynolds and the triple option attack with freshman wide receiver Parker Rasmusson and other athletes manning the quarterback position.
"The problem is that their quarterback can throw it and do all that, it's tough to simulate. I think he is the key to their offense," Graham said. "I have been very impressed."
Despite ASU's lack of success stopping the run this season and their lack of experience against the triple option, Graham said he doesn't plan on adjusting his usual game plan much.
"We are going to do what we do," Graham said. "It boils down to fundamentals, blocking, tackling and being sound in what you're doing."
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Todd Graham - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.