Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 2:46 pm
Will Sutton named Sporting News All-American
This honor comes a fews day after Sutton earned the same recognition from CBSSports.com and Athlon Sports. CBS Sports also named Sutton its Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year on Tuesday a week after conference coaches named him the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year.
The junior defensive tackle ended a dominant season with 58 total tackes, 20 of which were for a loss, and 10.5 sacks. His 1.82 tackles for loss per game were good for first in the conference and fifth in the nation, while his 0.95 sacks per game ranked third in the Pac-12 and 12th in the nation.
The Sporting News is one of five All-America teams officially recognized by the NCAA in determining their consensus All-Americans.
The other four are the Associated Press, the Football Writers Association of America, the Walter Camp Football Foundation and the American Football Coaches Association, which is the only one who has released its selected team. Sutton was also among its list of honorees.
Sutton and the Sun Devils are scheduled to face the United States Naval Academy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl December 29 at AT&T Park in San Francisco.
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- No roses, just thorns: Loss to Stanford should not diminish Sun Devils' season
- Pac-12 Championship Game Live: Notes from Sun Devil Stadium
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition