Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 3:24 pm
Magee on ASU: 'We need to get back on top where we belong'
But Magee told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday it didn't take long for Graham to win him over.
"He said he was committed to the seniors, he is going to play all the best guys, he is going to have discipline in his team, only character guys are going to play, the people that don't show up to class or practice hard are not going to be a part of this team," Magee said. "The key points he made to me the first time we had a conversation, I followed him right after that."
Now preparing for his final game in a Sun Devil uniform, Magee is pleased with the direction Graham is taking the program.
"From Todd Graham all the way down to the assistant coaches, (they) are outstanding guys. They teach character, discipline, all the right things you need at college, especially at a program like Arizona State," Magee said. "We need to get back on top where we belong."
A key for ASU to "get back on top" will be recruiting players from California.
Magee, who went to high school in Corona, California, feels recruiting from the state shouldn't be a problem for Graham.
"If I were Todd Graham, I would go back to the great players from California that we had here, and show them how good they did and show them where they are today," Magee said. "Show them that California players succeed out here."
He also suggested letting players like him and high school teammate Will Sutton talk to players about what it is like to live in the Valley.
Magee, Sutton and the Sun Devils return to action December 29 when they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- ASU hires Patrick Suddes as assistant athletics director for recruiting
- ASU's Will Sutton, Carl Bradford work out for scouts at NFL Combine
- Arizona RB Ka'Deem Carey records slow 40-yard dash time, ASU RB Marion Grice doesn't participate
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 football analyst - Wednesday March 5Why is the drop back quarterback losing steam in college football?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 4Herb Sendek talks about the upcoming game against Oregon, and the decision to come home in between r