Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 3:24 pm
Magee on ASU: 'We need to get back on top where we belong'
But Magee told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday it didn't take long for Graham to win him over.
"He said he was committed to the seniors, he is going to play all the best guys, he is going to have discipline in his team, only character guys are going to play, the people that don't show up to class or practice hard are not going to be a part of this team," Magee said. "The key points he made to me the first time we had a conversation, I followed him right after that."
Now preparing for his final game in a Sun Devil uniform, Magee is pleased with the direction Graham is taking the program.
"From Todd Graham all the way down to the assistant coaches, (they) are outstanding guys. They teach character, discipline, all the right things you need at college, especially at a program like Arizona State," Magee said. "We need to get back on top where we belong."
A key for ASU to "get back on top" will be recruiting players from California.
Magee, who went to high school in Corona, California, feels recruiting from the state shouldn't be a problem for Graham.
"If I were Todd Graham, I would go back to the great players from California that we had here, and show them how good they did and show them where they are today," Magee said. "Show them that California players succeed out here."
He also suggested letting players like him and high school teammate Will Sutton talk to players about what it is like to live in the Valley.
Magee, Sutton and the Sun Devils return to action December 29 when they take on Navy in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Arizona State dips in national polls after loss to Stanford in Pac-12 Championship
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition