Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 8:05 am
Graham: Winning a bowl game just the 'next step' for ASU program
But with just weeks left in his first season with the Sun Devils, Graham wants more from his team when they take on Navy on December 29 in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
"You're going to a bowl game first to win it and for the experience second," Graham said Sunday after practice. "The bowl experience is a great experience, but it's not any good if you don't win.
"Our goal is to win our eighth game and to win a bowl championship. Winning a bowl championship would be the next step for our program."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will be Graham's fifth appearance (3-1) as a coach in a bowl game. He previously took Rice to the New Orleans Bowl and Tulsa to the GMAC and Hawaii Bowls.
While the extra game allows the Sun Devils to practice 15 more times in 2012, similar to a spring camp, Graham was also very pleased to have the chance to play in a California-based bowl game for recruiting purposes.
"It's a great location for us and for our recruiting base," said Graham. "To go to the Bay Area is nice, because obviously California is such an important place for us. It's where a lot of our players' families are, and we have almost 20,000 alumni in that area. It's a perfect situation for us."
Graham and Co. will go up against a good 7-4 Midshipmen team led by the running duo of Gee Gee Greene and Noah Copeland. Before they play ASU, however, Navy still has its annual rivalry game on December 8 against Army.
"I've gone up against them quite a number of times," said Graham. "They are fierce, they are disciplined and very tough. They do a great job executing their system and scheme."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will mark the first time the two programs have met in football.
- ASU's Graham: 'Winning breeds winning' when it comes to recruiting
- Sun Devils OC Mike Norvell: School's commitment helps recruiting
- ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
- Forbes: Texas most valuable college football team
- ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
- Rocky Harris, ASU Senior Associate AD - Thursday December 19Talking about Mike Norvell's promotion and the state of ASU athletics.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Thursday December 19Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach talks about his new title.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Wednesday December 18Norvell talks about his promotion to Deputy Head Coach
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday December 17State of the program and previewing Texas Tech
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?