Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 8:05 am
Graham: Winning a bowl game just the 'next step' for ASU program
But with just weeks left in his first season with the Sun Devils, Graham wants more from his team when they take on Navy on December 29 in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl.
"You're going to a bowl game first to win it and for the experience second," Graham said Sunday after practice. "The bowl experience is a great experience, but it's not any good if you don't win.
"Our goal is to win our eighth game and to win a bowl championship. Winning a bowl championship would be the next step for our program."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will be Graham's fifth appearance (3-1) as a coach in a bowl game. He previously took Rice to the New Orleans Bowl and Tulsa to the GMAC and Hawaii Bowls.
While the extra game allows the Sun Devils to practice 15 more times in 2012, similar to a spring camp, Graham was also very pleased to have the chance to play in a California-based bowl game for recruiting purposes.
"It's a great location for us and for our recruiting base," said Graham. "To go to the Bay Area is nice, because obviously California is such an important place for us. It's where a lot of our players' families are, and we have almost 20,000 alumni in that area. It's a perfect situation for us."
Graham and Co. will go up against a good 7-4 Midshipmen team led by the running duo of Gee Gee Greene and Noah Copeland. Before they play ASU, however, Navy still has its annual rivalry game on December 8 against Army.
"I've gone up against them quite a number of times," said Graham. "They are fierce, they are disciplined and very tough. They do a great job executing their system and scheme."
The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will mark the first time the two programs have met in football.
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.