Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 5:56 pm
Arizona State was denied right to wear black uniforms against Arizona
The Arizona State Sun Devils had hoped to wear their black uniforms against rival Arizona, who donned all red last Friday for the Duel in the Desert.
When ASU heard Arizona's uniform choice, the Sun Devils decided they, too, wanted to wear the uniforms they felt would leave a lasting impression on audiences across the country.
"[Arizona] decided to wear all red and it's a national TV game and ESPN is showing it nationwide," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "So, we thought what's our best looking uniforms? The black ones."
But the Devils' request was flat out denied.
"We called down there to ask permission because the home team gets the right to approve it or not to approve it," Patterson said. "It wasn't like we called down and asked to wear maroon while they are wearing red and we got turned down."
Apparently, according to Patterson, the decision made Pac-12 history.
"According to the folks at the conference, they've never, ever heard of that happening before," Patterson said.
The Devils got the last laugh, however, when they beat the Wildcats on their home turf to recapture the coveted Territorial Cup.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.