Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 5:56 pm
Arizona State was denied right to wear black uniforms against Arizona
The Arizona State Sun Devils had hoped to wear their black uniforms against rival Arizona, who donned all red last Friday for the Duel in the Desert.
When ASU heard Arizona's uniform choice, the Sun Devils decided they, too, wanted to wear the uniforms they felt would leave a lasting impression on audiences across the country.
"[Arizona] decided to wear all red and it's a national TV game and ESPN is showing it nationwide," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "So, we thought what's our best looking uniforms? The black ones."
But the Devils' request was flat out denied.
"We called down there to ask permission because the home team gets the right to approve it or not to approve it," Patterson said. "It wasn't like we called down and asked to wear maroon while they are wearing red and we got turned down."
Apparently, according to Patterson, the decision made Pac-12 history.
"According to the folks at the conference, they've never, ever heard of that happening before," Patterson said.
The Devils got the last laugh, however, when they beat the Wildcats on their home turf to recapture the coveted Territorial Cup.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?