Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 5:56 pm
Arizona State was denied right to wear black uniforms against Arizona
The Arizona State Sun Devils had hoped to wear their black uniforms against rival Arizona, who donned all red last Friday for the Duel in the Desert.
When ASU heard Arizona's uniform choice, the Sun Devils decided they, too, wanted to wear the uniforms they felt would leave a lasting impression on audiences across the country.
"[Arizona] decided to wear all red and it's a national TV game and ESPN is showing it nationwide," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "So, we thought what's our best looking uniforms? The black ones."
But the Devils' request was flat out denied.
"We called down there to ask permission because the home team gets the right to approve it or not to approve it," Patterson said. "It wasn't like we called down and asked to wear maroon while they are wearing red and we got turned down."
Apparently, according to Patterson, the decision made Pac-12 history.
"According to the folks at the conference, they've never, ever heard of that happening before," Patterson said.
The Devils got the last laugh, however, when they beat the Wildcats on their home turf to recapture the coveted Territorial Cup.
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?