Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 5:56 pm
Arizona State was denied right to wear black uniforms against Arizona
The Arizona State Sun Devils had hoped to wear their black uniforms against rival Arizona, who donned all red last Friday for the Duel in the Desert.
When ASU heard Arizona's uniform choice, the Sun Devils decided they, too, wanted to wear the uniforms they felt would leave a lasting impression on audiences across the country.
"[Arizona] decided to wear all red and it's a national TV game and ESPN is showing it nationwide," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "So, we thought what's our best looking uniforms? The black ones."
But the Devils' request was flat out denied.
"We called down there to ask permission because the home team gets the right to approve it or not to approve it," Patterson said. "It wasn't like we called down and asked to wear maroon while they are wearing red and we got turned down."
Apparently, according to Patterson, the decision made Pac-12 history.
"According to the folks at the conference, they've never, ever heard of that happening before," Patterson said.
The Devils got the last laugh, however, when they beat the Wildcats on their home turf to recapture the coveted Territorial Cup.
- ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
- Forbes: Texas most valuable college football team
- ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
- FANTASY GRIND: Jamaal Charles, 2013 fantasy MVP
- Report: ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell interviews for Arkansas State coaching job
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Wednesday December 18Norvell talks about his promotion to Deputy Head Coach
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday December 17State of the program and previewing Texas Tech
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.