Updated Nov 27, 2012 - 5:56 pm
Arizona State was denied right to wear black uniforms against Arizona
The Arizona State Sun Devils had hoped to wear their black uniforms against rival Arizona, who donned all red last Friday for the Duel in the Desert.
When ASU heard Arizona's uniform choice, the Sun Devils decided they, too, wanted to wear the uniforms they felt would leave a lasting impression on audiences across the country.
"[Arizona] decided to wear all red and it's a national TV game and ESPN is showing it nationwide," ASU athletic director Steve Patterson told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "So, we thought what's our best looking uniforms? The black ones."
But the Devils' request was flat out denied.
"We called down there to ask permission because the home team gets the right to approve it or not to approve it," Patterson said. "It wasn't like we called down and asked to wear maroon while they are wearing red and we got turned down."
Apparently, according to Patterson, the decision made Pac-12 history.
"According to the folks at the conference, they've never, ever heard of that happening before," Patterson said.
The Devils got the last laugh, however, when they beat the Wildcats on their home turf to recapture the coveted Territorial Cup.
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.