Updated Nov 26, 2012 - 5:48 pm
Taylor Kelly ‘excited' to take on leadership role
Not only did Kelly compete, but he won the job and never gave it up despite a hard push from redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
A redshirt sophomore, Kelly threw for 2,772 yards and 25 touchdowns in his first season as the Sun Devil starter.
"I learned a lot. I got a lot better from the beginning of the season," Kelly told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "The preparation of understanding defense, what it takes to win in tough games, how to bounce back from loses and to stay focused. I have just got to keep improving those and keep learning."
With seniors like Cameron Marshall, Keelan Johnson and Brandon Magee graduating, the Devils will look for Kelly to become a team leader next season.
"I want guys to look up to me and know that I got faith in them and that we can continue on through adversity," Kelly said. "I am excited for that."
Kelly felt that he started to emerge into his no role in Arizona State's come from behind 41-34 victory over the Arizona Wildcats Friday.
"In the game at U of A, I kinda felt more (that) the guys looked up to me," Kelly said. "Me speaking to them on the sideline, getting them going, I just felt more of a leadership role more than I have this season."
If all goes according to plan, Kelly will be the first ASU quarterback to start for two full consecutive seasons since Rudy Carpenter did so in 2007-2008.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.