Updated Nov 26, 2012 - 5:48 pm
Taylor Kelly ‘excited' to take on leadership role
Not only did Kelly compete, but he won the job and never gave it up despite a hard push from redshirt freshman Michael Eubank.
A redshirt sophomore, Kelly threw for 2,772 yards and 25 touchdowns in his first season as the Sun Devil starter.
"I learned a lot. I got a lot better from the beginning of the season," Kelly told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "The preparation of understanding defense, what it takes to win in tough games, how to bounce back from loses and to stay focused. I have just got to keep improving those and keep learning."
With seniors like Cameron Marshall, Keelan Johnson and Brandon Magee graduating, the Devils will look for Kelly to become a team leader next season.
"I want guys to look up to me and know that I got faith in them and that we can continue on through adversity," Kelly said. "I am excited for that."
Kelly felt that he started to emerge into his no role in Arizona State's come from behind 41-34 victory over the Arizona Wildcats Friday.
"In the game at U of A, I kinda felt more (that) the guys looked up to me," Kelly said. "Me speaking to them on the sideline, getting them going, I just felt more of a leadership role more than I have this season."
If all goes according to plan, Kelly will be the first ASU quarterback to start for two full consecutive seasons since Rudy Carpenter did so in 2007-2008.
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.