Updated Nov 26, 2012 - 3:47 pm
ASU's Will Sutton named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year
Sutton, a junior from Corona, Calif., led the conference with 20 tackles for loss, ranked third with 10.5 quarterback sacks and helped the Sun Devils lead the Pac-12 in pass defense and pass efficiency defense.
Sutton also garnered First Team All-Pac-12 honors -- he was the only Sun Devil to win that distinction.
Senior linebacker Brandon Magee, junior safety Alden Darby landed on the second team defense, while senior punter Josh Hubner was the second team punter.
Magee led the Devils with 104 total tackles, including 17 in ASU's Territorial Cup win over Arizona in Tucson last Friday. For his efforts, Magee won the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week honor. Magee's accomplishments come just a year after he missed the entire 2011 campaign with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Darby finished the regular season with 72 total tackles, three interceptions for 154 yards and a touchdown. He also broke up four passes and forced a fumble. Darby also became the first Sun Devil to earn the "PT42" camouflage practice jersey this season. The jersey pays tribute to former Sun Devil Pat Tillman and in the words of head coach Todd Graham "embodies all the things that he emulated."
Hubner led the Pac-12 in punting with a 47.13 gross average, which also ranked third in the nation.
The following Sun Devils received Pac-12 honorable mention:
LB Carl Bradford, CB Deveron Carr, TE Chris Coyle, OT Evan Finkenberg, RB D.J. Foster, RB Marion Grice, DT Jaxon Hood, DB Osahon Irabor, S Keelan Johnson, QB Taylor Kelly, RS Rashad Ross
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.