Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 12:26 am
Fork Report: Sun Devils rally in fourth quarter to win Duel in the Desert
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Arizona on November 23. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
The Sun Devils regained the Territorial Cup, scoring 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. The victory -- the first against an FBS team with a winning record this season -- was set up by an offense that scored touchdowns after each of the four turnovers forced by the defense.
Marion Grice had three of those scores and finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 carries.
The Sun Devils committed seven penalties for a season-high 86 yards; however, four of those penalties came in the first quarter.
He Said It:
"It showed the character that the guys have," head coach Todd Graham said of his team's fourth quarter rally that secured the Sun Devils' first winning season since 2007. "I'm just so proud to hold this Territorial Cup."
• For the fourth consecutive season, the visiting team won the Duel in the Desert.
• Senior linebacker Brandon Magee set a new career-high with 17 tackles (14 solo) to go over 100 tackles for the season. He became the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles in a single season since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (7-5, 5-4) are bowl eligible for the second straight year. They now await their postseason destination, likely to be announced Sunday, December 2.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.