Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 12:26 am
Fork Report: Sun Devils rally in fourth quarter to win Duel in the Desert
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Arizona on November 23. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
The Sun Devils regained the Territorial Cup, scoring 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. The victory -- the first against an FBS team with a winning record this season -- was set up by an offense that scored touchdowns after each of the four turnovers forced by the defense.
Marion Grice had three of those scores and finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 carries.
The Sun Devils committed seven penalties for a season-high 86 yards; however, four of those penalties came in the first quarter.
He Said It:
"It showed the character that the guys have," head coach Todd Graham said of his team's fourth quarter rally that secured the Sun Devils' first winning season since 2007. "I'm just so proud to hold this Territorial Cup."
For the fourth consecutive season, the visiting team won the Duel in the Desert.
Senior linebacker Brandon Magee set a new career-high with 17 tackles (14 solo) to go over 100 tackles for the season. He became the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles in a single season since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (7-5, 5-4) are bowl eligible for the second straight year. They now await their postseason destination, likely to be announced Sunday, December 2.
- Fork Report: Devils dominated in Pac-12 Championship Game
- Saturday's loss certainly hurts, but for ASU, this is the ground floor
- No roses, just thorns: Loss to Stanford should not diminish Sun Devils' season
- Pac-12 Championship Game Live: Notes from Sun Devil Stadium
- The Pulse: Fans like ASU's chances in Pac-12 Championship, think Sun Devils will win close
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition