Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 12:26 am
Fork Report: Sun Devils rally in fourth quarter to win Duel in the Desert
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Arizona on November 23. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
The Sun Devils regained the Territorial Cup, scoring 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. The victory -- the first against an FBS team with a winning record this season -- was set up by an offense that scored touchdowns after each of the four turnovers forced by the defense.
Marion Grice had three of those scores and finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 carries.
The Sun Devils committed seven penalties for a season-high 86 yards; however, four of those penalties came in the first quarter.
He Said It:
"It showed the character that the guys have," head coach Todd Graham said of his team's fourth quarter rally that secured the Sun Devils' first winning season since 2007. "I'm just so proud to hold this Territorial Cup."
• For the fourth consecutive season, the visiting team won the Duel in the Desert.
• Senior linebacker Brandon Magee set a new career-high with 17 tackles (14 solo) to go over 100 tackles for the season. He became the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles in a single season since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (7-5, 5-4) are bowl eligible for the second straight year. They now await their postseason destination, likely to be announced Sunday, December 2.
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.