Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 12:26 am
Fork Report: Sun Devils rally in fourth quarter to win Duel in the Desert
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we will give you a fork report, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from ASU's game against Arizona on November 23. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
The Sun Devils regained the Territorial Cup, scoring 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. The victory -- the first against an FBS team with a winning record this season -- was set up by an offense that scored touchdowns after each of the four turnovers forced by the defense.
Marion Grice had three of those scores and finished with a career-high 156 yards on 18 carries.
The Sun Devils committed seven penalties for a season-high 86 yards; however, four of those penalties came in the first quarter.
He Said It:
"It showed the character that the guys have," head coach Todd Graham said of his team's fourth quarter rally that secured the Sun Devils' first winning season since 2007. "I'm just so proud to hold this Territorial Cup."
• For the fourth consecutive season, the visiting team won the Duel in the Desert.
• Senior linebacker Brandon Magee set a new career-high with 17 tackles (14 solo) to go over 100 tackles for the season. He became the first Sun Devil to have more than 100 tackles in a single season since Robert James had 106 in 2007.
Coming Up Next:
The Sun Devils (7-5, 5-4) are bowl eligible for the second straight year. They now await their postseason destination, likely to be announced Sunday, December 2.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.