Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 5:46 pm
ASU's Jaxon Hood excited for first Territorial Cup
The Sun Devil defensive tackle was recruited by the University of Arizona, who offered him a scholarship. Hood chose to stay closer to home, and has been a key cog in ASU's defense, which is ranked second in the Pac-12.
Hood has three sacks and 22 total tackles this season, in which he's started every game as a true freshman. He can't wait to get his first taste of playing for the Territorial Cup.
"This is one of the reasons that you stay in-state," Hood said Tuesday. "You've seen how big this rivalry gets -- I remember watching the game where James Brooks blocked two kicks and just how exciting that was.
"This is such a big game and there is so much on the line, so I'm very excited."
Hood has another reason to be excited. His older brother, Tevin, is a sophomore defensive lineman at Arizona. This will be the first time that the Hood brothers have faced each other in any organized sport.
"Besides pretty intense games of backyard football and wrestling and all that stuff, this is the first time we've been structured competitively against each other," Hood said. "We'd play games of football in the backyard, and it would always end in tears and fights, so this will be probably a more controlled thing than what we're used to."
So, with a brother behind enemy lines, is there back and forth communcation leading up to the game?
"Not much, we're just focusing on helping our teams winning the game," Hood said. "We've both been pretty mature about the whole thing. There will be more trash talk after game, but right now we're just focused on doing our jobs and making sure our teams come out with a win."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.