Updated Nov 18, 2012 - 9:45 am
Taylor Kelly has record-breaking day vs. WSU
Coming into their clash with the Cougars, the Sun Devils were mired in a four-game losing streak and all signs pointed to a similar collapse as the 2011 season produced.
While WSU's defense hasn't exactly invoked fear into any opponent this season, Taylor Kelly and Co. did what they were supposed to do -- beat a lesser foe.
Following sluggish performances against Oregon, Oregon State and USC, questions lingered as to whether Kelly should be the program's main quarterback option moving forward.
For at least one day, he answered that question.
The sophomore threw for 236 yards and four touchdowns, but neither of those stats were his most impressive on the day. From the 8:27 mark of the first quarter until the 3:13 mark of the third quarter, the Idaho native completed a school-record 18 consecutive passes.
Kelly shattered a 60-year record that was previously set by Dick Mackey against S.D. Navy back in 1952. Mackey completed 13 in a row to set his record mark.
Due to his phenomenal performance against the Cougars, Kelly is also in line to break the school's all-time completion percentage for a single season. Kelly has completed 66.8 percent of his passes in 2012. Brock Osweiler actually set the school record last season with a 61.8 completion percentage (326-of-516).
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.