Updated Nov 13, 2012 - 2:28 pm
ASU's Deantre Lewis moving back to offense
Back in September, in an effort to bolster the defensive depth, Graham decided to switch sophomore Deantre Lewis from tailback and give him a shot at safety.
Lewis saw action in a handful of games on defense, tallying four total tackles. But he wasn't part of the travel team that lost at USC 38-17, and it now looks like the experiment is over.
"We tried to move him over to DB and I think it's been very tough from a learning standpoint for him," Graham said following Tuesday's practice in Tempe. "He kind of was excited about it for a couple weeks, then he got kind of confused and kind of hit a wall, so we're going to probably move him back and get him going, working at tailback."
Lewis opened eyes as a true freshman in 2010 when he ran for 552 yards on just 92 carries and scored four touchdowns. In that season, he had three consecutive games with more than 100 yards rushing (122 at Wisconsin, 127 vs. Oregon and 104 at Oregon State). He was also a threat in the passing game, catching 23 balls for 370 yards and another score.
Lewis was shot in February of 2011 while visiting family in Riverside, California. He didn't play last season while recovering from his injuries.
"Deantre helped us in some nickel and dime stuff, he just wasn't able to progress," Graham said. "So he wasn't playing, and if he's not going to play, we'd rather him be back over there and give us some depth at running back."
- ASU's Graham: 'Winning breeds winning' when it comes to recruiting
- Sun Devils OC Mike Norvell: School's commitment helps recruiting
- ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
- Forbes: Texas most valuable college football team
- ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
- Rocky Harris, ASU Senior Associate AD - Thursday December 19Talking about Mike Norvell's promotion and the state of ASU athletics.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Thursday December 19Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach talks about his new title.
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Wednesday December 18Norvell talks about his promotion to Deputy Head Coach
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday December 17State of the program and previewing Texas Tech
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?