Updated Nov 12, 2012 - 4:32 pm
AD Patterson encouraged by Graham's first season
With a 5-5 record and just two games remaining, Arizona State appears to be staring mediocrity in the face once again.
Under first year head coach Todd Graham, the Devils started the season with plenty of promise but faltered once their schedule got tough.
Despite being on a four-game losing streak, ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson is optimistic that the football program is going in the right direction.
"I'm encouraged overall. I think Todd [Graham] made great progress laying the foundations for a successful program," Patterson said. "If we get two more wins, we are going to be in good shape and get into a decent bowl game."
Patterson pointed out that a bowl game is key when it comes to developing a young talent and hopes his team will have the opportunity to do so this year.
"It gives you more days to practice than teams that are not in bowls. That is important for particularly the younger players who are just starting with it," Patterson said. "It helps Todd instill the rest of his system before he goes into next year."
With only eight senior starters, extra practices will give Graham a valuable chance to continue to develop his young team for next season.
"Overall, I feel good about where he has gone and where the development of the team is right now," Patterson said.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was