Todd Graham has not lost faith in QB Taylor Kelly
After a "high-octane" start to the season filled with blowouts and dazzling performances by quarterback Taylor Kelly, ASU's offense has run out of gas.
Now on a four-game losing streak, the Devils are scrambling to score points and Kelly is starting to feel the heat.
Arizona State head coach Todd Graham was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday and expressed confidence in his sophomore signal caller.
"Our faith in Taylor [Kelly] has not changed," Graham said. "He is our starter and will be [moving forward]."
Kelly might have earned that faith from his performance early in the year. Through the first six games of the season, he threw 14 touchdowns and just two interceptions.
But in the last two games, Kelly has completed just 41 for 71 and had two touchdowns with four interceptions. He has also been sacked eight times.
Graham feels that ASU's inability to protect Kelly is why the young quarterback hasn't been himself lately and feels "any person that is under that kind of duress is going to struggle to play well."
"We've done a poor job of protecting him and I think we've probably done a poor job adjusting," Graham said. "As the season goes on, when people are game planning you and taking away things you are doing, you got to have other guys step up. We've got to step up to come up with some wrinkles here and there to help take the pressure of him."
Kelly and his offense should have an opportunity to find their rhythm this week when they welcome in Washington State for the last home game of the season.
The Cougars' defense is ninth in the Pac-12 in total defense and is giving up 33 points per game.
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.