Updated Nov 8, 2012 - 1:39 pm
Archuleta: 'Graham has done good things for ASU'
Graham went on to lead the Sun Devils to a 5-1 record, giving ASU fans hope that their team could compete for a Pac-12 Championship.
But the last few weeks have been an entirely different story. The Sun Devils have lost their last three games, leaving fans wondering what happened to the team that steamrolled through their opponents at the beginning of the season.
Pac-12 Network analyst and former Sun Devil great Adam Archuleta spoke with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf and said ASU's recent struggles are not a good reflection of what Graham has done for the school.
"I think Todd Graham has done some really good things at ASU," said Archuleta. "Of course they've stumbled a little but I think he walked into one of the more difficult situations as far as having a young team, not having a quarterback, not having a guy like [UCLA quarterback Brett] Hundley, not having a guy like [University of Arizona quarterback] Matt Scott, getting Taylor Kelly to play well."
Before the season Graham came up with his own tradition of awarding a defensive player who he believes most embodies what Pat Tillman was all about. The player whom Graham believes best displays strong play on the field and leadership amongst his teammates will have the honor of wearing Tillman's number 42 in practice. Stressing the necessity of tradition, the idea of rewarding a hard-working player with such an honor has become a hit with fans and players alike.
"I think it's good. He wants his players to exemplify somebody who was one of the greats and has the characteristics that you want in a player," said Archuleta. "You want guys to understand the importance of practice and the preparation and get that to be the important thing. And so from all those standpoints and tying it into who Pat Tillman was, I think it's a really good thing. ASU needs some tradition like that."
- ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
- Forbes: Texas most valuable college football team
- ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
- FANTASY GRIND: Jamaal Charles, 2013 fantasy MVP
- Report: ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell interviews for Arkansas State coaching job
- Mike Norvell, ASU Deputy Head Coach - Wednesday December 18Norvell talks about his promotion to Deputy Head Coach
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday December 17State of the program and previewing Texas Tech
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.