Updated Nov 4, 2012 - 1:30 pm
Sun Devils will stick together despite rough patch
A season ago, after starting out 5-1, the Sun Devils tapered off dramatically with six losses in their final seven games.
This season, after earning a place in the Top 25 with an impressive 5-1 start, Kelly and Co. look headed for a similar nose dive after three straight losses to Oregon, UCLA and Oregon State.
But while the murmurs continue to grow following each new defeat, ASU's starting quarterback remains confident that 2012 will have a much better ending than 2011 had.
"You know we are disappointed, but I have great confidence in our guys," Kelly said. "They have great character when stuff hits the fan. This is the time when we are going to pull together better than ever."
While Kelly's vote of confidence is admirable given the team's current slump, the sophomore wasn't exactly in the trenches during ASU's late-season slide in 2011.
Running back Cameron Marshall was, however. And while he admits the plunge in the Pac-12 standings has its similarities to last season, the overall feeling in the locker room the senior says is not the same.
"We've experienced this before," said Marshall. "And, it's familiar and it's different at the same time, because this group of guys, I think our heads are in a different place than it has been before."
Marshall added that the Sun Devils still have plenty to play for over the final three weeks of the season and that the team's collective maturation will help them recover from their recent losing ways.
"I've just seen a lot of growth and maturity from a lot of guys on the team," said Marshall. "Guys who last season at this point in time might have been selfish and not playing for the team or the guys playing for the team the most, encouraging everybody else and other people.
"I think the maturity level has grown on this football team."
ASU will head to Los Angeles next weekend to face another slumping conference foe, the USC Trojans. Last season, Marshall helped lead the Sun Devils to a convincing 43-22 victory over Lane Kiffin's squad.
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.