Updated Oct 17, 2012 - 8:25 pm
Former head coach: 'ASU's Taylor Kelly MVP of Pac-12'
The heaping praise for Arizona State Sun Devils quarterback Taylor Kelly has risen to a new level.
Former iconic UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday, Kelly's journey this season speaks volumes about his potential as a quarterback.
"I think no one really thought [Kelly] was going to be the savior," Neuheisel said. "He was I think listed as third on the depth chart when spring ball started. Low and behold, I listed him on our Pac-12 network when we were giving out midterm grades, I gave him the MVP of the league. I think he's been that good."
He has led the Devils to an impressive 5-1 start, completing 112 of 164 passes for 1,600 yards and 14 touchdowns with only two interceptions through six games this season.
"If [Kelly] plays like he's played at Sun Devil Stadium to date, they're going to give the Ducks everything they have," Neuheisel said.
Neuheisel attributes Kelly's success to his efficiency, resiliency and ability to stay focused in the most trying of circumstances.
"He has looked remarkably comfortable and even when it could have disintegrated when he missed some throws at Missouri, that could have resulted in victory, it didn't crush him," Neuheisel said. "He wasn't a shell of himself the next time out, looking for a place to hide. He came back and manned up against Cal."
Kelly's extraordinary poise and maturity is also a credit to head coach Todd Graham and his new philosophy, which has paid dividends so far for the Sun Devils.
"All [Graham] did was install his own program with respect to the discipline and the accountability that was going to be required and it's been a magic formula," Neuheisel stated.
A formula that seems to be cultivating a quarterback who could lead the Sun Devils to greener pastures.
- More than all-access
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.