Updated Oct 17, 2012 - 8:25 pm
Former head coach: 'ASU's Taylor Kelly MVP of Pac-12'
The heaping praise for Arizona State Sun Devils quarterback Taylor Kelly has risen to a new level.
Former iconic UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday, Kelly's journey this season speaks volumes about his potential as a quarterback.
"I think no one really thought [Kelly] was going to be the savior," Neuheisel said. "He was I think listed as third on the depth chart when spring ball started. Low and behold, I listed him on our Pac-12 network when we were giving out midterm grades, I gave him the MVP of the league. I think he's been that good."
He has led the Devils to an impressive 5-1 start, completing 112 of 164 passes for 1,600 yards and 14 touchdowns with only two interceptions through six games this season.
"If [Kelly] plays like he's played at Sun Devil Stadium to date, they're going to give the Ducks everything they have," Neuheisel said.
Neuheisel attributes Kelly's success to his efficiency, resiliency and ability to stay focused in the most trying of circumstances.
"He has looked remarkably comfortable and even when it could have disintegrated when he missed some throws at Missouri, that could have resulted in victory, it didn't crush him," Neuheisel said. "He wasn't a shell of himself the next time out, looking for a place to hide. He came back and manned up against Cal."
Kelly's extraordinary poise and maturity is also a credit to head coach Todd Graham and his new philosophy, which has paid dividends so far for the Sun Devils.
"All [Graham] did was install his own program with respect to the discipline and the accountability that was going to be required and it's been a magic formula," Neuheisel stated.
A formula that seems to be cultivating a quarterback who could lead the Sun Devils to greener pastures.
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!