Updated Aug 5, 2012 - 10:47 am
No regrets for ASU frosh D.J. Foster
Imagine being a high school senior and being offered full ride football scholarships to storied programs like Auburn, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon and USC.
Imagine shunning those storied programs and plenty others to stay home and play in your own back yard.
That's exactly what Scottsdale Saguaro product D.J. Foster did when he signed a letter of intent to play for new head coach Todd Graham and the Arizona State Sun Devils. At ASU media day Saturday, Foster reiterated that his choice was the correct one for him.
"That's one of the big reasons I stayed here was because of my family and stuff," Foster said. "It's good to go home on weekends and see my family and be close to all my friends.
"I'm happy I made the decision -- I'm one-hundred percent confident and happy that I did make the right decision."
Foster was the prized recruit in Graham's first class after running for 3,058 yards and 54 touchdowns for the Division III state champion Sabercats in 2011. But the talented freshman joins a crowded position, with seniors Cameron Marshall and James Morrison, juniors Kyle Middlebrooks and Marion Grice, sophomore Deantre Lewis and fellow freshman Terrell Davis all in the mix for playing time.
Foster says he'll do whatever the coaches ask him to do.
"Wherever I can help, whether that's in the slot or in the backfield," he said. "(The coaches) have a plan where they want to use us all - -- we've got a lot of weapons in the running back group, we've got a lot of options and they know the right way to use it, and they've got a good plan for all of us."
And the running backs figure to see a lot of action considering the fact that three inexperienced candidates -- Mike Bercovici, Michael Eubank and Taylor Kelly -- are vying for the starting quarterback spot, and the Sun Devils lost three of their top wideouts from a season ago. Foster is confident in all three signal callers.
"No matter who is on that field in game one against NAU, we're going to go full force."
Arizona Sports' Adam Green contributed to this report
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!