Vrbata, Smith lead Coyotes to win over Panthers
Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Mike Ribeiro also scored for the Coyotes. Mike Smith made 31 saves.
Brandon Pirri scored and Roberto Luongo stopped 23 shots for the Panthers.
Phoenix won its second consecutive road game for the first time since Nov. 27 and Dec. 3.
Florida has lost 10 of 13. The Panthers have only six goals in the last four games.
Phoenix opened a 3-0 lead when Vrbata scored at 5:52 of the third. Antoine Vermette fed Vrbata in the right circle and he wristed the puck into an open net. Vrbata has six points in four games.
The Panthers closed to 3-1 on Pirri's power-play goal at 8:54 of the third. Pirri's shot from high in the right circle touched several Coyotes players' sticks and went over Smith's glove high in the net.
It was Pirri's first goal with Florida since he was acquired in a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks on March 2.
The Coyotes took a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal in the first. Ribeiro fired a one-timer from above the right circle that got past Luongo on the glove side at 17:43. Keith Yandle got the assist and leads the Coyotes with 45 points. He has seven points in his last seven games.
The Coyotes stretched their lead to 2-0 in the second. Ekman-Larsson shot from just inside the blue line on the left side and it went by a screened Luongo at 9:43.
Coyotes F Martin Erat left in the first period with an upper-body injury. ... Panthers L Sean Bergenheim left in the second period with a lower-body injury. ... The Panthers recalled F Joey Crabb and D Mike Mottau from San Antonio of the AHL. ... Panthers D Erik Gudbranson and C Jesse Winchester each missed the game with lower-body injuries.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.