By the Numbers: Phoenix Coyotes continue up-and-down season against Dallas Stars
Just a day after taking down the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to move back into the Western Conference playoff picture, the Coyotes fell 2-1 at the Dallas Stars to continue their pattern of losing to teams behind them in the standings and beating those ahead.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
Phoenix capitalized on just one of its four power play chances, and that came with only 14 seconds left in the game. The Coyotes did manage to hold the Dallas power play to an 0-for-5 performance.
The Coyotes moved into the Western Conference's eighth and final playoff spot with a win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, and remained there despite Saturday's loss - though they're now in a tie with Dallas. The two teams meet once more this season, though the Stars have taken each of the first two meetings and currently hold the tiebreaker.
Phoenix forward Antoinne Vermette extended his career-long point streak to 10 games -- barely -- when he assisted on the Coyotes' loan goal, which came with 14 seconds to play in the third period.
Because of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, the Coyotes won't take the ice in a game for another 19 days, when they head on a road back-to-back at Winnipeg and Colorado on Feb. 27 and 28. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said some of the Coyotes' eligible players may play with Phoenix's AHL affiliate during the break.
It's been 20 days since the Coyotes were able to win back-to-back games, beating the New Jersey Devils two days after taking down the Vancouver Canucks. Phoenix has had four chances to win two straight, but have lost each time by a combined five goals.
Phoenix goalie Mike Smith made 31 saves against the Stars, continuing a stretch of solid play after struggling mightily for a stretch earlier in the season.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.