2014-15 will see debut of the 'Arizona Coyotes'
Starting next season, the team announced they will be known as the "Arizona Coyotes." The move had long been expected, and now there is a timeline.
"We are very excited to announce that our franchise name will change to Arizona Coyotes for the start of the 2014-15 NHL season," Coyotes Co-Owner, President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said in a statement. "Becoming the Arizona Coyotes makes sense for us since we play our games in Glendale and the city is such a great partner of ours. We also want to be recognized as not just the hockey team for Glendale or Phoenix, but the team for the entire state of Arizona and the Southwest. We hope that the name ĎArizona' will encourage more fans from all over the state, not just the valley, to embrace and support our team."
As part of the name change, the team will introduce a new shoulder patch for their jerseys. It's the only change the jerseys will undergo, and will be unveiled for the Coyotes' first preseason game next season.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.