Updated Jan 29, 2014 - 8:48 am
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan notches 500th career assist
At 3:16 of the second period, Coyotes defenseman buried a shot on the power play to give his team a 2-0 lead. Goals are nice, but it was the set-up pass that made history: Doan recorded the 500th assist of his National Hockey League career.
"It means you've played for probably a long time," he joked after the win. "Especially in my case, when you're not that good, but you've just been around a long time.
"It's obviously something that's pretty unique and special."
Doan is currently sitting in third on the franchise's all-time assists list, chasing Dale Hawerchuk (550) and Thomas Steen (553), both of whom spent far less time with the team than Doan has.
"They spent a lot less time with the organization and they're still ahead of me, so slow and steady I guess," Doan said with a smile.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!