Updated Jan 29, 2014 - 8:48 am
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan notches 500th career assist
At 3:16 of the second period, Coyotes defenseman buried a shot on the power play to give his team a 2-0 lead. Goals are nice, but it was the set-up pass that made history: Doan recorded the 500th assist of his National Hockey League career.
"It means you've played for probably a long time," he joked after the win. "Especially in my case, when you're not that good, but you've just been around a long time.
"It's obviously something that's pretty unique and special."
Doan is currently sitting in third on the franchise's all-time assists list, chasing Dale Hawerchuk (550) and Thomas Steen (553), both of whom spent far less time with the team than Doan has.
"They spent a lot less time with the organization and they're still ahead of me, so slow and steady I guess," Doan said with a smile.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.