By the Numbers: Coyotes fall to Flames as late rally falls short
But after Wednesday's 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames, the Coyotes have found themselves on the wrong side of the final for the second consecutive game.
The Coyotes again seemed to have the majority of scoring chances and good looks, but couldn't get anything to fall their way. Phoenix had a late flurry at the net, but couldn't get anything home in the final seconds of Wednesday's game.
Here's a closer look at the loss by the numbers:
The Coyotes scored a shorthanded goal for the second straight game after not netting one in their first 48 outings. Both came from Antoine Vermette.
Phoenix center Martin Hanzal was a scratch for the second straight game with a lower-body injury. Hanzal is listed as day-to-day.
For the fifth time in their last six games, the Coyotes scored two goals or less. Phoenix scored three in a 3-2 win over New Jersey and in a 5-3 loss to Philadelphia, but hasn't passed that mark since Dec. 31, 2013, in a 4-3 overtime win over Edmonton.
The Coyotes had scored a power play goal in seven straight games -- halfway to the franchise record of 14 -- but that streak was snapped Wednesday, when Phoenix went 0 for 2 with the man advantage.
Coyotes captain Shane Doan snapped a seven-game scoreless drought with third-period wrister to pull Phoenix within 3-2.
Phoenix fired 32 shots on Calgary goaltender Karri Ramo, but he came up with 30 saves, including holding strong during a last-second Coyotes rally at the net.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.