By the Numbers: Coyotes survive late rally for second straight win
But they look to have righted the ship -- at least for now.
Phoenix jumped out to an early two-goal lead and survived a late rally behind another stellar outing from goaltender Mike Smith, and topped the New Jersey Devils 3-2 at Jobing.com Arena Saturday for their second straight win.
Here's a look back at the hard-earned win by the numbers:
Phoenix secured wins in back-to-back games for the first time since beating the Colorado Avalanche and New York Islanders on Dec. 10 and 12, respectively.
It took the Coyotes just two minutes and 36 seconds to jump out to a 1-0 lead over the Devils, as Jordan Szwarz buried a behind-the-net feed from Kyle Chipchura. Phoenix added a second goal with 6:47 left in the period to take a 2-0 lead.
Martin Hanzal's power play goal at 14:22 of the second period extended the Coyotes' streak of games with at least one power play goal to seven. Phoenix is now halfway to its franchise record of 14.
The Coyotes blocked 26 shots from the Devils, a team-high six of which came from defenseman Derek Morris.
Mike Smith made 32 saves, and appears to have rebounded from a rough patch around the time it was announced he made the Canadian team for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Smith made three saves in the game's final two minutes, including a game-saver off the stick of Jaromir Jagr.
Szwarz's goal marked the Coyote's first even-strength goal in almost 185 minutes. Phoenix hadn't found the net during even strengh play since Mike Ribeiro scored against Anaheim last Saturday -- a span of 184:25.
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett earned his 450th career NHL win, all coming in four-plus years with the Coyotes and seven seasons with the Dallas Stars.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!