Derek Mackenzie suspended three games for hit on Coyotes' Oliver Ekman-Larsson
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be without the services of center Derek MacKenzie for three games after he was suspended for boarding Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
MacKenzie boarded Ekman-Larsson with just over 11 minutes remaining in the first period. A video explanation said that MacKenzie's hit was deemed worthy of a suspension because he drove through Ekman-Larsson's back in an very unsafe manner.
OEL was injured on the play and didn't return to the game. Head coach Dave Tippett said the young Swedish star is considered day-to-day with an upper body injury (no surprise given the force of the hit) and is questionable for Saturday's clash with the Philadelphia Flyers in Glendale.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?