Derek Mackenzie suspended three games for hit on Coyotes' Oliver Ekman-Larsson
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be without the services of center Derek MacKenzie for three games after he was suspended for boarding Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
MacKenzie boarded Ekman-Larsson with just over 11 minutes remaining in the first period. A video explanation said that MacKenzie's hit was deemed worthy of a suspension because he drove through Ekman-Larsson's back in an very unsafe manner.
OEL was injured on the play and didn't return to the game. Head coach Dave Tippett said the young Swedish star is considered day-to-day with an upper body injury (no surprise given the force of the hit) and is questionable for Saturday's clash with the Philadelphia Flyers in Glendale.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!