Derek Mackenzie suspended three games for hit on Coyotes' Oliver Ekman-Larsson
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be without the services of center Derek MacKenzie for three games after he was suspended for boarding Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
MacKenzie boarded Ekman-Larsson with just over 11 minutes remaining in the first period. A video explanation said that MacKenzie's hit was deemed worthy of a suspension because he drove through Ekman-Larsson's back in an very unsafe manner.
OEL was injured on the play and didn't return to the game. Head coach Dave Tippett said the young Swedish star is considered day-to-day with an upper body injury (no surprise given the force of the hit) and is questionable for Saturday's clash with the Philadelphia Flyers in Glendale.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.