'Yotes Notes: Rough 3rd period buries Phoenix Coyotes in Montreal
The wheels completely fell off for the Coyotes in the final period, and the Canadiens emerged with a 3-1 win in front of a full arena at Bell Centre.
A power play goal by Max Pacioretty put Montreal ahead with just under six minutes to go, and the Coyotes got some good shots on goal near the end, but couldn't make up the difference.
Pacioretty knocked in another goal with under three seconds left to ice the game for Montreal (21-12-3, second place in the Atlantic Division).
Phoenix fell to 18-10-5 after its second-straight loss.
Mikkel Boedker became the second Coyote to reach double-digits in goals this season with his first period make that put the team up 1-0.
Defenseman Connor Murphy recorded his second assist of the season on Boedker's goal.
Pacioretty's final goal was an empty netter, so Coyotes goalie Mike Smith still had 25 saves on 27 shot attempts on the night.
Pacioretty ran wild on the Coyotes in the third period, scoring two goals and assisting on the other.
The Coyotes had four power play opportunities, and couldn't convert once.
Conversely, the Canadiens also had four power play chances, and converted two of them.
The Coyotes got 27 shots on goalie Carey Price, but only got one through.
- The Coyotes haven't won in Montreal since 1996.
- Defenseman Zbynek Michalek left the game with a lower body injury and did not return. He missed nine games earlier in the year with a possible related injury.
- Phoenix has lost nine out of its last 13 games.
The Coyotes remain in Canada and head to Toronto on Thursday, Dec. 19, to face the Maple Leafs, who are 17-16-3 and fifth in the Atlantic Division. Puck drops at 5:00 p.m. MST. Catch the game on 860 AM or Fox Sports Arizona.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.