Updated Nov 21, 2013 - 7:06 pm
ESPN's Melrose: Coyotes becoming 'model of how to run a franchise'
But that move couldn't have worked out better.
"It was a calculated move, and it's been nothing but a reward," ESPN's Barry Melrose told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Mike played for me in Tampa Bay. Phoenix has a really good goaltender right there, and he's actually playing himself into a spot on Team Canada."
Melrose added that he thinks Smith is the NHL's most exciting goaltender because of his ability to handle the puck, and said that move is just one of several that has the Coyotes among the league's best teams through the first two months of the season.
"Phoenix has become a real good organization," Melrose said. They've spent the money in the right spots, and they've had to because they haven't had a lot of money. Phoenix is rock-solid everywhere. Drafted very well, made good trades, smart free agent signings.
"They've been a model of how to run a franchise."
Two of those acquisitions -- drafting defenseman Oliver Eckman-Larsson and signing center Mike Ribeiro -- have been key cogs in this year's team that sits two points back of Western Conference-leading Anaheim.
Melrose called Eckman-Larsson a complete package and said he'd be one of the league's superstars if he were in a large media market like New York or Toronto, and said Ribeiro's addition not only added a front-line offensive weapon but he also brings the type of skillset that makes everyone around him better.
"Phoenix is adding those guys and it's one of the reasons they're turning into one of the better teams," Melrose said. "All of a sudden, you have two lines that can score and other guys you can put in situations if a guy is struggling. It rubs off on other players."
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.