Coyotes' Tippett stressed strong play at home before season
"I think there are a couple of things," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Wednesday. "One, I really think some of it has to do with new ownership and stability here. And we talked about it at the beginning of the year -- we wanted to be a real good home team.
"In the end it comes back, if you're not a good home team, you're not going to be a playoff team."
At Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, the Coyotes are 9-0-1 this year, one of just two teams without a regulation loss at home with the other being division rival Anaheim.
Phoenix was a far-from-dominating 14-8-2 on its home ice last season, and Tippett wanted that to change.
"The stability, we wanted (opponents) to know this would be a hard place to play," Tippett explained. "For the most part, we've ended up playing very well at home."
With a very competitive Western Conference -- the top eight teams are only separated by two points -- each game is important, and Tippett said the team needs to take every advantage it can get.
"You've got to pick up points at home, because they're awfully hard to get on the road," Tippett said.
That's been especially true for the Coyotes this season, as they are a much more mortal 5-4-2 on the road. The team hosts the two Southern California teams this week before heading out on a two-game road trip to Nashville and Minnesota.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?