Updated Nov 14, 2013 - 1:34 pm
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes' Ekman-Larsson nets goal early into overtime to defeat Blues
It took an Oliver Ekman-Larsson rocket 56 seconds into the extra period to defeat the St. Louis Blues 3-2 at the Scottrade Center.
After St. Louis' Maxim Lapierre netted the first score of the game, the Coyotes scored two goals in the opening period, including a Mikkel Boedker's fourth of the year, but Phoenix did not score again until Ekman-Larsson's game winner.
The Coyotes pulled off the win despite getting a whopping 20 fewer shots on goal (19) than the Blues (39).
St. Louis fell to 11-2-3 with the overtime loss, and the Coyotes improved to 13-4-2.
Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith had a strong showing, stopping 37 shots for a save percentage of 94.5.
Mike Ribeiro got an assist on David Moss's goal in the first period and again on Ekman-Larsson's shot in overtime. Ekman-Larsson also had an assist, his 10th of the year, on Moss's goal.
Moss's goal was his first of the season, and his first since April 10.
Phoenix's efficient shooting left Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak with a save percentage of 84.2 on the evening.
The Blues' suffocating defense only allowed the Coyotes to get 19 shots on goal, including a measly 3 in the third period.
Both teams only had one power play opportunity apiece, and neither was able to convert.
The Coyotes could not get a shot in the net in the final two periods. Both teams went scoreless in the second.
- Phoenix went to overtime for the fifth time in six games.
- The Coyotes have only lost twice (once in a shootout) in seven overtime appearances this season.
- The Coyotes won their second straight game, and have won seven of their last eight contests.
- With the win Tuesday, Phoenix is only three points behind Anaheim for first place in the Pacific Division.
The Coyotes travel farther east to play the Chicago Blackhawks at the United Center on Thursday. The puck drops at 5:00 p.m. MST. Chicago stands at 12-2-4 and is tied for first in the Central Division. Tune in to KMVP 860 AM to hear the action.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!