Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith's mask featured in '10 Masks in 10 Days' feature
In turns out, his mask is quite the attraction too.
Artist David Arrigo began a series on his "Art of Sport" blog back in October, featuring some of his most creative AHL/NHL mask designs.
Smith made the list, thanks in large part to the sentimental depiction of his sons on the right side of the mask.
Here's Arrigo's breakdown of the mask:
It features his sons Ajax and Aksel who are using the Wile E. Coyote's ears to navigate. Wile E has been a fixture on Smitty's mask since he arrived in Phoenix, however with this installment he did everything but paint the mask. I took Smitty's ideas and applied a design where the entire mask is used as a canvas for a seamless image.
Continuing with the family theme I had the Smith boys paint the backplate of the mask.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.