Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan misses Calgary Flames game due to injury
A familiar face was missing Tuesday night when the Phoenix Coyotes beat the Calgary Flames 4-2. Captain Shane Doan missed the game with a lower-body injury.
While Doan is no stranger to playing injured, he rarely misses a game. The last time he sat out a full game with an injury-related issue was November 2010.
"It's funny how it just doesn't feel right," head coach Dave Tippett said of Doan's absence after the win.
While it may not have felt right without Captain Coyote on the ice, the team's play didn't seem overly affected. Kyle Chipchura was able to fill his wing roll nicely and several players stepped up to lead the team to a win after blowing a 2-0 lead.
However, despite Chipchura putting together a good performance, the Coyotes will surely be looking forward to Doan's return to the ice.
"It was a little strange not having him talk my ear off before the game," said Phoenix Coyotes assistant captain Keith Yandle. "It wasn't something that you want to get used to and I missed him in [the locker room.]"
Tippett said that Doan's injury is not serious and he expects him back on the ice soon, but no timetable was given. He is officially listed as day-to-day.
Doan has averaged 18:46 of ice time this season and has tallied three points.
Arizona Sports' Dave Dulberg contributed to this report.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Coyotes poised to hit the reset button after losing identity
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.