Coyotes goalie Smith scores in 5-2 win over Wings
Smith was already having a good night before sending a wrist shot the length of the ice into the vacated Red Wings net. Smith made 31 saves before scoring his first NHL goal.
Mike Ribeiro scored twice in the third to help the Coyotes storm back from a 2-0 deficit in the opening frame. Martin Hanzal's goal at 7:08 of the third, in his 400th NHL game, put Phoenix ahead 3-2. That came 2:01 after Ribeiro had tied it.
His third of the season with 6:46 remaining gave Phoenix a 4-2 lead before Smith capped the win in dramatic fashion.
Antoine Vermette started the comeback in the second after Pavel Datsyuk and Todd Bertuzzi gave the Red Wings the lead in the first.
Detroit had a four-game winning streak snapped.
The Coyotes finished a two-game season sweep of their former Western Conference rivals. Phoenix beat the Red Wings 4-2 in Detroit on Oct. 10.
Vermette made it 2-1 with a wrist shot past goalie Jimmy Howard with a minute left in the second period.
Howard stopped 16 shots in the first period, the most shots the Coyotes have had in an opening period this season. The Coyotes (5-2-2) had a chance to cut the Red Wings' lead to one early in the second after Shane Doan was taken down on a clear scoring chance by defenseman Brendan Smith, but Howard extended his left leg and blocked Doan's attempted right-handed shot in front.
Howard made 28 saves in his return to the ice after missing three games because of a bruised left hand.
Mike Smith gave the Coyotes and their fans a scare when he dropped face down onto the ice 10:08 into the second period after reaching to block a shot. Smith was down for a couple of minutes, being attended to by a trainer, but remained in the game.
Detroit (6-3) scored right after Smith went down, but the goal was waved off.
Datsyuk and Bertuzzi scored less than five minutes apart for the Red Wings, Datsyuk with the deflection of a pass from Henrik Zetterberg from the left wing, and Bertuzzi with an unassisted tally.
Bertuzzi took advantage of an errant centering pass from the Coyotes' Zbynek Michalek and beat Smith at 9:02 of the period.
Phoenix got on the board with a minute left in the second period. Vermette helped clear the puck off the boards in the Coyotes zone to teammate Rob Klinkhammer. Vermette took off down the ice, got a return pass from Klinkhammer and lifted a slap shot over defenseman Danny DeKeyser's stick and over Howard's left shoulder.
The Coyotes drew even on Ribeiro's goal, which came after a faceoff and pass from Mikkel Boedker that was deflected in front to Ribeiro.
Ribeiro has a point in six straight games. Boedker tallied a pair of assists.
NOTES: Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall didn't play after sustaining a concussion from a hard hit Thursday at Denver. Kronwall's streak of 138 straight games came to an end. He said Saturday that he was feeling no symptoms, and he was listed as day-to-day. ... Brendan Smith played for the first time in five games. ... Vermette has four points in three games, including a goal in each.
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.