'Yotes Notes: Coyotes allow late goal, fall to Ducks in shootout
The Coyotes gave up a late lead for the second times in as many games to lose their second straight and fall to 4-2-2 on the season.
Anaheim (6-1-0) outscored Phoenix 4-3 in six shootout rounds, and won when Shane Doan's wristshot from 14 feet was saved by Jonas Hiller to hand the Coyotes their first road loss of the season.
The Coyotes dominated the faceoff battle 43-27, and until the game-tying goal, outplayed a good Anaheim team.
The Coyotes took advantage of a power play to take the lead -- they scored just seconds after it ended -- and the Phoenix penalty kill unit was successful on all four of its chances, including a four-minute double minor.
The Ducks outshot Phoenix 39-32, but a good amount of the Coyotes' shots were quality looks at the net. Goalie Mike Smith had another quality game, stopping 37 Anaheim shots.
The Coyotes can't afford to give points away late in games, and it's something they've done in back-to-back contests.
Phoenix did everything it could do -- and needed to do -- to put itself in a position to win a division contest on the road. But that was erased on a somewhat-flukey play to tie the game.
Still, despite the luck factor that was involved in the Ducks tying the game, giving up leads late in games is something the Coyotes can't get in the habit of doing.
And although they used a power play goal to take the lead in the third period, the Coyotes were just 1-of-6 with a man advantage. Taking advantage of more opportunities is something that will help Phoenix hang on to leads late.
Coyotes defenseman Rusty Klesla got his first start of the season after missing the first three games of the season with a concussion, then suffering another big hit from the Senators' Bobby Ryan on Tuesday.
The Coyotes return to Glendale Saturday for a 6 p.m. game against the Detroit Red Wings in Jobing.com Arena.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.